[olug] corrupt master file table (NTFS)

DYNATRON tech dynatron at gmail.com
Fri May 28 18:06:59 UTC 2010

let me say first, that i'm impressed with testdisk as well as the many
features and file systems it supports, and i'd like to thank bill for
suggesting it. unfortunately, i'm not sure that it will save this particular
disk.

according to testdisk the MFT mirror was corrupt as well...bummer.
i suppose this explains why chkdsk could not fix it, but i'm still confused
how this can happen in the first place, unless i had a loss of power while
writing to both MFT's. it seems to me logic would dictate that a drive
should edit only one MFT at a time to avoid this situation. this computer
hasn't talked to the internet in a couple years, so i find malware to be an
unlikely possibility. the only thing i can come up with is that i had a bad
sector in the mirror MFT which only became an issue when i lost the primary
MFT.

for the last 3 days testdisk has been doing this:
*
Disk /dev/sdb - 750 GB / 698 GiB - CHS 91202 255 63
       Partition                             Start              End     Size
in sectors
1 P HPFS - NTFS                   0   1   1   91200 254 63 1465144002

Search mft    749338624/1465144002*

the last thing i remember doing with it is telling it to attempt recover of
the boot sector, but i'm not sure what that has to do with the mft.

any ideas?

--
dynatron digital services
box 191 - 68037