[olug] http://omaha.towncommons.com

Adam Haeder adamh at aiminstitute.org
Thu May 20 19:15:57 UTC 2010

Hello all,
I've been involved with the Omaha Wiki ever since it was a class project
in a Creighton University Marketing class. Last year, Dr. John Workman,
Professor of Marketing at Creighton University, took the idea of the Omaha
Wiki and started a company called towncommons.com. The idea of a
wiki-based regional site for the Omaha area fit in very well with AIM's
mission, and I've been happy to be a part of the project. The
towncommons.com site is ready for public beta, and I'd like to invite you
all to be a part of it. Please read the introduction below from Adrian
Blake, the CEO of towncommons.com. Thanks for taking a look and I hope you
find this as useful as I do.

I thought this would be relevant to the OLUG list because it's an Omaha
company, it's all linux (mediawiki based), and I think you guys would be
good beta testers for this. Thanks for looking.

--
Adam Haeder
Vice President of Information Technology
adamh at aiminstitute.org
www.aiminstitute.org

To the members of the Omaha Commons Community:
We have some exciting news for you, and would like your help.
What We’re Doing
As you may have noticed, development on the Wiki portion of Omaha Commons
has been somewhat dormant. That’s not because we don’t value the
community; it’s because we’re working on something new. We hope you’ll
find it exciting.
Life in Omaha is great, but there’s a consistent problem—it seemed that we
all hear about cool things going on in town (music, speakers,
performances) after they are over. Events just aren’t covered well in
Omaha. The media companies in Omaha, whether print, TV, or radio, just
aren’t set up to cover everything that’s going on. We’ve all seen their
websites, and it’s clear that the web is not a priority for them.
The Omaha Wiki was originally set up to help Omahans get more out of
Omaha, and judging by our traffic we’ve done a great job. (We’re currently
the 9th biggest Citywiki in the world—not bad for a city of half a
million.) But we think there’s something more. Our community has done a
wonderful job capturing the history of Omaha and pointing users to the
many resources and institutions of Omaha, but we haven’t been set up to
cover all the cool things that are happening in Omaha every day.
That’s why we’re introducing Events.
We’re excited to offer this new functionality, which will act like Google
News for Events in Omaha.
We capture every event that’s going on in Omaha (Hip Hop Shows, 10K runs,
Craft fairs, business conferences, etc)
We tag and classify the events
Users pick the categories they care about and get a constantly updated
list of events that fit their specifications.
We’re very excited about this development, and think it will allow us to
create even more impact in Omaha.

What We Want from You :
We’re launching the Events functionality in a private beta, and we’d like
you to give us your feedback.
Our one disclaimer: It’s a beta. (Not enough data, not all the
functionality works, you know the drill.)
Please come on in and tell us what you like, what you hate, and how we can
make it better. The things we’re most interested in are:
What’s missing
What doesn’t work
Would you use it regularly? Why or why not?
We have feedback tabs all over the place, and would appreciate it if you
use them.

Here’s the link: http://omaha.towncommons.com

What All This Means
We’re trying to build something special in Omaha, and then export it to
other cities around the country and around the world. We think that cities
our size are consistently under served by their local media, and we think
we can do something better by leveraging the community.
We want do something cool for Omaha. Please help us.

And let us know what you think.

All the best,
Adrian Blake
CEO