[olug] 2TB Harddrives On Sale

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Sat May 8 04:47:18 UTC 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010 08:40:38 pm Will Langford wrote:
> Unless you're looking for throw away storage or really trust your raid /
>  zfs setup :).  Maybe as PVR storage, i dunno...

RAID is only useful to avoid downtime. It cannot solve the same problems that
demand the need of proper backups. If a little downtime isn't a problem, a
hard drive failure shouldn't be a big deal. ;)

On Friday 07 May 2010 08:53:59 pm Kevin D. Snodgrass wrote:
> Also, notice in the ad it says $109.99 *AFTER* mail-in rebate.  For those
>  not in the know, that means if you send in the rebate form for your $40
>  cheque you will be getting lots of junk mail of the dead tree variety.

If you're lucky enough to get the rebate in the first place. Last time I
bought anything with a rebate from TigerDirect, whoever handles the rebates
screwed up and mixed up my UPCs with the rebate forms and refused to fill them
on the basis of the wrong UPCs! I was told to resend them with the correct
UPCs, which of course wasn't possible since they insisted on originals...