[olug] bridging networks

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Mon May 3 16:37:01 UTC 2010

On Monday 03 May 2010 06:58:30 am Aaron Keck wrote:
> I'd recommend just using the bridge-utils package.  It will combine your
> eth0 and wlan0 into a single interface, br0.  No need to setup a DHCP
> server, since the xbox can send DHCP requests over the bridge and get an
> address from the main network router/DHCP server.

This will only work if the upstream router is configured to allow WDS, and
your card supports WDS. Otherwise, you can only transmit from your unique MAC
address. If you can't use WDS to create an actual bridge, you need to setup
what is called "proxy ARP" and either statically assign your behind-the-proxy
IP addresses or install a DHCP relay.