[olug] Next Time don't get into a contract if you can help it.

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 23:51:18 UTC 2010

I've got the Motorola Droid via Verizon and there isn't much
indication of any vendor crippling firmware on the phone.  There is a
Verizon app pre-installed, but it can be removed easily.  Further,
I've found instructions to boot Debian on the thing if I so choose,
giving me full root access to hardware.  Also, while the Droid is CDMA
for Verizon, it does have SIM capability for global phone use.

I've had this thing for a few months now and haven't found anything I
dislike about it yet.  I went ahead and got it on contract renewal
because 1) Verizon has the best nationwide coverage in my traveling
experiences and good service here in the Omaha metro and 2) I didn't
want to fork over the $600 retail phone price

Just my 0.2 cents.

Ben