[olug] Backup solutions

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jun 25 21:15:17 UTC 2010

> This is an article from a while back about the remote data backup vendor
> Backblaze.  Somewhat relevant if you wanted to build some huge disk backup
> solution.
>
> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

I'm trying not to drool on my keyboard.  Combine that with a good,
deduplication file system like SDFS, and you've got a cheap, linux-based,
multi-version, on-site backup solution.  It won't save you from every
disaster scenario, but it'll cover the most common ones and allow you
to reserve your expensive tape drives for the uber-critical data that
must be stored off site.

http://ostatic.com/blog/sdfs-a-robust-deduplication-file-system-for-linux