[olug] Backup solutions

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Jun 25 17:35:26 UTC 2010

> The only backup solution that I can think of that would cost 6 figures is a
> large tape autoloader.
>
> What kind of retention period are you guys looking for?

I'm not sure, but I guessed a few weeks.  I speced out a Quantum LTO-5
autoloader from NewEgg ($5400) and told my boss about it.  He was
surprised, and will be duscussing it with our sysadmin when he returns
from vacation.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16840121075&cm_re=lto_5-_-40-121-075-_-Product

As best I can tell, it looks like we're running Amanda for our backup
software, and I don't see a compelling reason to change that.

All this talk of NAS has got me wondering whether anybody makes a
hard drive-based solution similar to a tape autoloader.  Hard drives
have similar dimensions, capacity and cost to LTO-5 tapes (1.5TB for
$120).  I suppose the drives are less durable and weigh more, and
a single 7200 rpm spindle has a slower transfer speed than LTO-5.
You could stripe the drives for more speed, though, rather than
writing to them sequentially as must be done with tapes (unless you
spend the bucks for multi-drive autoloaders).  All it would really
require is a hot swap chassis with a bunch of empty drive bays, and
that has to cost less than a $5K autoloader.  With this setup, you
could just use mount the new array and use rsync to do your backups.
You'd get a full backup for the cost of a differential.

Anybody heard of this being done?