[olug] Switch port errors...

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Tue Jul 27 19:50:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 14:46, Steve Busby <steve.busby at gmail.com> wrote:

> That 2900XL is an older switch and my memory isn't what it used to be, how
> many switch ports per ASIC?  We've had ASICs go bad and it definitely
> effects all switch ports connected to that ASIC.

Good call - when I get time I'm going to install a laptop with Linux and
plug directly into the cablemodem.  That will be a new NIC and bypass the
switch.  This will also allow me to use Wireshark to watch for ethernet
packet errors.

Dan

My next steps:
 * Replace the cables (done 2010-07-27 at 14:30)
 * Move to new switch (done 2010-07-27 at 14:35)
 * Test with a laptop and Wireshark
 * Use a sniffer and setup port spanning on the cablemodem side.
 * Replace the firewall NIC
 * Test using my old cablemodem (Surfboard SB5101) on my @Home service.
 ** Move my old cablemodem to the SOHO service and see if speed changes.
 * Research how to get better diagnostics out of the Surfboards.

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"