[olug] replacing Windows Server 2003 with Linux distro

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 13:06:13 UTC 2010

+1 for CentOS, which is Red Hat minus the branding to make it free as in
beer. If you want commercial support, then go Red Hat or SUSE. SUSE in
particular is very easy to manage with Yast, and they have good
interoperability tools to work in an existing Windows environment. If you
want a free version of SUSE, there is openSUSE, which just had a major
release last week.

I don't want to start another flame war because Ubuntu is massively popular,
but they do seem to constantly ship broken packages. People often say it is
fine in the enterprise because they have a LTS (Long Term Support) release.
But those are the same buggy packages, just with longer support. Ubuntu is
fine for your desktop, but I wouldn't put it on a production box in an
enterprise envrionment.

If file serving is your main concern, you may also want to consider Open
Solaris or a varient like Nexenta. It uses the Solaris kernel so you get the
ZFS file system. In addition to hardware and software RAID, it supports
"pools" which can be dynamically adjusted. It also supports
snapshots/revisions of files, is very fast, etc.
-- T. J.
On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 7:52 AM, Curtis LaMasters <curtislamasters at gmail.com