[olug] Weird SATA behavior

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Thu Jul 15 03:21:02 UTC 2010

In the past I've had two IDE drives not like working together (even when on
different IDE cables), unless the combination was "just perfect". In those
cases (much like yours below), the addition of another IDE device to the mix
(i.e. a CD drive or two on one or both cables) seemed to make them play
again.

Try flashing to the latest BIOS first - it could be a known bug, and since
the Linux OS can see it I'd say it's the most likely answer.  Unless you're
intending to add additional drives to fill up all your SATA ports, I
wouldn't sweat it too much if the BIOS flash doesn't work.  Assuming you
don't need the ports right away and can boot from a different drive, at the
price of drives and motherboards today, you'll spend way more in time
troubleshooting this than it's worth.

It sounds like you've tried most everything - I'd chalk it up to a bug and
move on.

Dan