[olug] Combining SDD and HDD drives?

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 11 13:56:29 UTC 2010

--- On Sat, 7/10/10, Dan Linder <dan at linder.org> wrote:
> Interesting results.  If I read
> his notes correctly, the RAID-1 setup uses
> the "write-mostly" flag to denote the two HDDs as being
> 'lesser' than the
> SDD.

I guess you could say theat.  "write-mostly" denotes the drive to write to, mostly. ;-)

> But since it's RAID 1, won't it be limited to the total
> size of the smallest
> drive, namely the SDD?

Well, partition to be exact.  But yes, you would be limited by the size of the SDD.

> Or did I overlook an option to the setup?
>
> I wonder if ZFS or BTRFS have this as an option?

Why?  If you use mdadm to set up a RAID1 you can format it with whatever filesystem you like.  XFS, btrfs, ext3/4, JFS, ZFS, etc...  The filesystem software won't even "know" about what happens "below" it.

Kevin D. Snodgrass