[olug] OT: eMachines PITA

Dan Clough dan at miniarpa.net
Thu Jan 21 21:34:53 UTC 2010

My girlfriend's family at one point had an eMachines T27-something-something that they used as a family computer.  Being not that technically literate, they didn't know what to do when the power supply died so they just let it sit and bought a new computer.  Now that I've come into the picture they decided to hand the machine off to me to do the data recovery, which was successful.  So now I've got a 2.7Ghz desktop with 512MB of RAM that I can't wait to put to good use.

However... I replaced the power supply with one of those 400-watt Dynex ones you can get at any Best Buy, and the little LED on the motherboard lit up when I plugged it in, but the machine doesn't turn on when I hit the power button.  I checked the front panel jumpers and they were untouched.  I switched around the jumpers to see if they were mis-wired, but still no joy.  I ripped a power button out of an unused case and tried that, and nothing could fire that old eMachines up.

Hell, I've even shorted the power switch pins on the motherboard with a piece of metal and nothing's happened.  I can't for the life of me figure out what's gone wrong.  Does anyone have any suggestions to throw out?  Is it possible that the power supply could have fried the motherboard in its death throes?

Dan