[olug] The mysterious kenel panic

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Mon Jan 18 19:28:26 UTC 2010

If the old PS/2 keyboard is the root cause, it could be that the it
was drawing too much current for the new PS/2 port to provide.  If you
haven't done it, get a PS-2 to USB adapter, then plug in to a powered
USB hub, then plug the hub into your computer.  This should adequately
shield the motherboard from any excessive current draw while letting
the keyboard do it's thing.

Thankfully my old IBM Model M works quite well with a PS2-to-USB
adapter I purchased through ThinkGeek a couple years ago...my Shuttle
seems to have enough USB current to feed it.

Dan