[olug] miserable performance Atom 230 + OpenSuSe 11.2

neal rauhauser nrauhauser at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 01:11:56 UTC 2010

  I have an MSI one piece desktop machine with an Intel Atom 230 (1.6GHz 64
bit) and a gig of memory. I do nothing more complex than run Google Chrome
and a few terminal windows, but this machine feels like the 486/33 I first
loaded Redhat on fifteen years ago. I started with the same 32 bit OpenSuSe
I ran on my little Thinkpad, then later learned this was a 64 bit process
and switched. The 64 bit OS is marginally better, but performance is still
horrid.

  I did go through and turn off all of the desktop and window effects. Any
suggestions for further improvements would be very welcome ...

--
mailto:Neal at layer3arts.com //
GoogleTalk: nrauhauser at gmail.com
GV: 202-642-1717