[olug] How to configure X?

Kevin D. Snodgrass kdsnodgrass at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 3 05:39:45 UTC 2010

> From: enderandrew at gmail.com <enderandrew at gmail.com>
> Most new distros don't have an
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file anymore by default. However, if you
> have the proprietary Nvidia drivers, you can use
> nvidia-settings from the terminal. I believe that will
> generate an xorg.conf file for you.

Well, I'd like to *NOT* run proprietary blobs.  But if I can't figure out hout to get something better than VESA resolutions and 1/10th the frames in glxgears ...

> I did fix an
> old Dell laptop that may have had that specific Nvidia card
> in it before. The issue I ran into, is that the card barely
> has any video memory. Most new desktops try to default to a
> huge virtual resolution for the multiple desktops. The video
> card struggled with that. I disabled the virtual desktops,
> and the lowered the virtual resolution in xorg.conf to get
> that card to play nice.

Works great in FC3. 1280x1024 full color, 1500 fps glxgears.  I guess I could try increasing the video memory.  Currently running 32MB, but can set the BIOS to use up to 128MB...

> -- T. J.

Thanks for trying.

Kevin D. Snodgrass