[olug] Max range on WAPs

Benjamin Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 23:19:36 UTC 2010

802.11g has the worst range of all of the 2GHz technologies due to the
uber modulation used to cram 54Mbps into the 2.4GHz spectrum.

802.11a is 5GHz but pretty much requires line of sight due to high
frequency absorption.

I've witnessed 802.11b go well over a mile using "rubber duckies" with
line of sight.  I think some guys at DefCon set a Guiness record
getting 802.11b to go nearly 30 miles at the Salt Flats in Utah using
Pringles cantennas and other makeshift antennas assembled with
hardware store components.

802.11n achieves high speed by using multiple channels when there is
no outside channel interference (e.g. using channels 1 and 6) vs.
using a single channel like 802.11a/b/g.  802.11n also can leverage
dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) for a speed boost.  If the 5GHz stuff
doesn't make it through, it falls back to 2.4GHz.

2.4GHz (802.11a/b/n) does not require line of sight as it can go
through walls, trees, etc.  That being said, line of sight will make
things better (better signal strength).

If distance is your goal, find something that is _capable_ of
operating in "B only".  You sacrifice speed, but connectivity is king
in this instance.  I'd recommend trying an N router next.  Most of the
N routers have several modes of operation, like the "B only" option
mentioned above.

Your big problem is going to be the physical location of your AP.  If
it is inside house A, it had to go through at least 2 walls to get
inside house B.  If you could put it outside (with weatherproofing of
some sort) or get the antenna outside, then the signal need only pass
through 1 wall for each house.

Ben