[olug] Max range on WAPs

Charles Bird cbird.omaha at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 08:05:30 UTC 2010

if your going to bridge and the signal is still too weak, and if the units
have two antennas, then I would recommend one output on each be terminated
to pringles can or similar waveguide/directional antenna. Without a
reflector, these ghetto links can do approx 1 mile line of sight, with
reflectors one can do approx 20 miles if aligned, and line of sight, I would
say 12 miles using n, pringles cans + 18" reflectors.(just trying to sound
smart)
The thing with pringles cans is that you are limited with cable length from
the transmitter to the antenna, usually alot of attenuation at play, and
just a little is alot when your talking 250mw.

Personally, I'd get some HAM radios and packet radio, maybe some 28.8 or
less! Whooohoo
Then setup a http proxy and name it "farmcat", with a orange haired farmcat
popup at random.