[olug] Max range on WAPs

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Fri Feb 26 04:08:43 UTC 2010

My mom just got a new laptop with 802.11n networking.  Their current
802.11g WAP works fine around their house & yard, but it won't work
in my grandma's house about 150 yards away.  Both houses are on the
same farm, so there's no legal problems with sharing Internet access.
Mom is grandma's caretaker and spends lots of time there.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a new WAP or antenna or
something that will help the laptop stay online in the other building?

Alas, I can't remember off hand which brand/model of WAP they currently
have in place.