[olug] Google Fiber home Internet sevice RFI

Sam Tetherow tetherow at shwisp.net
Thu Feb 18 22:10:23 UTC 2010

There isn't any state law that I am aware of that prohibits you from
laying your own infrastructure.  There are hoops that have to be jumped
through to get ROW from the municipality, but part of the deregulation
of telco services was for just this purpose.

I know for instance that Three Rivers Telephone "coppered over" Qwest in
Ainsworth.  Unite fiber in Lincoln has their own fiber loop that is
outside of Windstream's network.  Time Warner's cable network is outside
of Windstream in Lincoln, yet both offer voice and internet.  I also
know that for a while Lincoln was trying to find another cable provider
to compete against TW.  The reason that it doesn't happen very often is
that it is horribly expensive to do it and if you don't have a captive
audience (the only provider) it is hard to make the numbers work.

Sam Tetherow
Sandhills Wireless