[olug] Google Fiber home Internet sevice RFI

Charles Bird cbird.omaha at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 18:58:44 UTC 2010

I dont know how Google is going to get past the "law".
Unless I am mistaken, you cant just lay fiber and sell backhaul to an
interexchange facility unless its the LEC themselves laying the fiber in its
designated LATA.
The whole system is really complicated in this regard, because it applied
mainly to telephone services. I dont think these laws should apply when we
are talking Ethernet with TCPIP only(Metro Ethernet).

I sell bandwidth and this is the most frustrating aspect.
I can get anyone Global Crossing, Level3, ATT, etc,(on the carrier's own
switches even) but its not gonna do anyone any good if it cant get to you.
Since this is Qwest's LATA, they dont have to compete with anyone and they
can just say, "Uuuuuuuh, yeah, you wanted Ethernet/metro fiber? Uuuuuh yeah,
well, we cant do that, so we are gonna offer you either an OC3 or a DS3 with
SONET/SDH at 12,000 or 6500 per month just for transport and you can run
Ethernet over it " <--Thats not too cool

Ok, so are we going to get organized and flood Google with Omaha based
requests??