[olug] Full Duplex - NIC

Brian Roberson roberson at olug.org
Wed Feb 3 21:29:52 UTC 2010

This is pretty well documented, but just for reference, and to get this on
the mailing list, below is a table of outcomes dependent on setting one side
of the Ethernet connection and not the other. This is true regardless of the
devices in use is a server, a switch, router, etc...

Client             Partner               Outcome
Auto               Auto                   Highest speed / Full duplex
100/Full          Auto                   Partner goes into 100/half
(mismatch)
100/half          Auto                   Partner goes into 100/half (ok)
10/Full           Auto                   Partner goes into 10/half
(mismatch)
10/half           Auto                   Partner goes into 10/half (ok)

It should be said, that many of us (me included) have found interoperability
issues when leaving the links to auto negotiate, especially cross vendor.
Which is why many times we just set it on both sides to enforce what it is
we want it to do.