[olug] Full Duplex - NIC

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 19:49:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Kelly Williams
<kellywilliams81 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I do I figure out if my nic is running full duplex, I have notice lately
> that my server has been slow by downloading and uploading files. This server
> is my file server for my network. If for internal use only.
>
> Kelly

Many of these are in repositories:

iPerf (with jPerf, you get pretty graphs)
NetPerf
nuttcp  - may be better bc tries to account for how much CPU usage was
needed to get that bandwidth.
ttcp

i have used iperf on the Lan and over the internet.  Some of these are
in the Fedora repositories.

Run it on your existing OS and from a LiveCDs.  Don't remember if it
was BackTrack, Trinity, SysRescCD or Knoppix that had iPerf on it
already.

Others on   comp.dcom.lans.ethernet   noticed similar problems.  If
you don't find what is wrong with one of the above open source tools,
then you may have to goto ethereal.

i have a plethora of machines, but i think only two of about 50
machines get close to linespeed, however i haven't tested every last
one.  Two  RackableSystems running Fedora and CentOS are getting near
line speed of GB at about 996MB / sec.  Most of the others do not come
close.