[olug] [ot] not sure on the details

Luke-Jr luke at dashjr.org
Thu Dec 9 01:09:05 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, December 08, 2010 11:08:53 am Kevin wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 09:59, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> > On Monday, December 06, 2010 09:25:32 am Benjamin Watson wrote:
> > > By rooting my phone and overclocking, I am now using the device above
> > > and beyond its design and, as a result, can cause hardware damage.  I
> > > can understand why these types of actions void a warranty.
> >
> > "Rooting" your phone and overclocking are two very different things.
> > "Rooting"
> > is, if not normal use, undeniably part of maintenance. Unless you use it
> > to do
> > damage, it cannot void a warranty.
>
> I disagree. What about a program that either intentionally(and without
> telling you) or accidentally overclocks the processor or tells the camera
> flash to go to a too-high level or something similar? That is precisely why
> the manufacturer designs their OS to not let you do those kinds of things.
> By rooting, you are removing protections that were in place to prevent this
> kind of thing.

An OS doesn't need to lock out the owner, in order to lock out applications.
Obviously if you actively enable an application to damage the hardware, you
are then liable (as in voiding your warranty) for the damage you enabled. But
making a change that does *not* do damage, *cannot* void a warranty.

IANAL ofc.