[olug] [ot] chrome

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 04:34:07 UTC 2010

>From the Nov 7th changelog at http://poppler.freedesktop.org/
	 * Fix crash in the Cairo backend in documents with invalid type 3 fonts
	 * Fix crashes in broken documents
So, i could crash okular by sending you a broken document or just a
font you are unlikely to have.  Could i fuzz that out and place
something on the stack at the right place to execute something?

If you personally examine all the code in Okular and prepatched the
Poppler bugs above, then you may have been safe.  Otherwise, it is a
gamble.  i am all for using non standard PDF readers because they
might be safer, but i don't see which specific pdf standards that
Okular supports and it may not support paper sizes at all.  Doesn't
look like it supports forms at all.

Just out of curiousity.  Anybody have metasploit loaded?  At the msf
console, show exploits and filter for poppler or okular or just pdf.

The point being that there are vulnerabilities in almost all plugins
and all browsers on all operating systems.  Just look at the
screenshots of a Zeus botnet command and control center.  Firefox on
Linux makes up some of the botnet.   Was the $800 price increase for
Zeus too much?   Icepack, Adpack, NeoSploit, SecretBanker might still
be had for less than a hundred.
Practice defense-in-depth and sandbox.  Better yet, use qubes-os.org
and sandbox.

Use a PDF Exploit to jailbreak your iphone:
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/08/03/jailbreakme-site-utilizes-pdf-exploit-in-ios/

Adobe competes against java jvm and that new stuff from the rich guy.
Would have preferred it stay simple, but they want a platform, not
just a reader.