[olug] [ot] not sure on the details

Steven Susbauer steven at too1337.com
Thu Dec 2 23:46:13 UTC 2010

On 12/02/2010 05:33 PM, Kevin wrote:
> That was the Library of Congress, but I don't know why they think they have
> any kind of legal standing. Any more than, say, the President would have to
> arbitrarily declare that. Not that I'm pointing fingers or anything.

They operate the Copyright Office under the legislative branch which is
charged with administering copyright law. Being that they advice
congress in issues relating to copyright law and draft legislation, they
probably have some knowledge and legal standing.

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 17:25, Benjamin Watson<bwatson1979 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Didn't the Supreme Court  allow us to "jailbreak" our iDevices,
>> phones, etc legally?  The fact that by doing so, you void your
>> warranty, remains the same (which is totally understandable).

The protection was to do it to your own device, afaik, not someone else's.