[olug] Contemplating an iPad.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Sun Aug 15 19:56:11 UTC 2010

Ok, it looks like the iPad will fill my needs (PDA, PDF/ebook viewer,
remote access, etc).

I was hoping to play with developing some small apps, but
unfortunately the language I'd like to do this in (Java) is not
available on the iPad (Apple and Steve Jobs, not a technical reason).

Since I'm also looking at getting an Android based phone in the next
6-8 months and the preferred Android development platform is Java
(http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/getting-started-with-android-development),
I'm thinking an Android tablet is starting to make sense.

But...

It seems that most of the Android based tablets are either "coming
soon", or are too small to be a decent reader (the Dell Streak looks
promising, but too small and low res).

The $150 tablet that was seen at K-Mart in the past few weeks
(http://mobile.slashdot.org/story/10/08/08/1727223/Kmart-Briefly-Offers-149-Android-Tablet?from=rss),
but apparently it is not licensed to get apps from the Google Android
app store, so I'm hesitant if it has any future.

Are there any others that I'm missing that are out there now?

Dan

--
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"