[olug] forgive me, for i am lazy

Roger Hubbard hubbardroger at msn.com
Sun Aug 8 19:34:57 UTC 2010

I initially was going to ask if there were
    "installation features?"
or
    "  if it made a difference "which distribution" you were/are running...

I see "iptables" within my fedora setup....
but my mac doesn't seem to be running the same unix/linux..
     says its DARWIN and there is a program called
        ipfw
        which can be used to configure ip routing
           man ipfw says that it came from a FreeBSD distribution.
================
IPFW(8)                   BSD System Manager's Manual                  IPFW(8)
NAME
     ipfw -- IP firewall and traffic shaper control program
=====================

  The Ubuntu forum says to install GUFW
  Fedora doesn't seem to have that gui software.

Is there some way to save the current iptables setup, before
I run this script and crush everything?

I saw one set of commands from site that google listed...
   don't know if they are appropriate or not

Example
For example, save current iptables firewall rules:
# iptables-save > /root/dsl.fw
To restore iptables rules:
# iptables-restore < /root/dsl.fw

that same web page says I'll need to add the restore command
in an rc file so that the rules are always loaded at boot..???

I was at the meeting (???) where there was discussion about iproute2..
I didn't have a linux system at that time, and then missed the next meeting.

Any thoughts about further discussion at one of the meetings?

Roger Hubbard