[olug] linux

Jon Larsen relayer at levania.org
Fri Aug 6 14:19:25 UTC 2010

If you never plan to do any updates for security and such, stick with the
ubuntu/opensuse/fedora recommendations.  They all do a update
support cycle of generally a year past the current release.  You can
always do major dist/os upgrades, but it depends how much down time do you
want.

If you plan to keep your server up to date with security updates
longer than a year, choose CentOS or Ubuntu LTS.  CentOS puts out
patches for 5~7 years past the initial release, and Ubuntu LTS is 5
years for the Server version, well past the desired lifetime of a server
assuming you replace a server every 4 years to keep up with current hardware.

Current CentOS is 5.5 (look for 6 coming soon)
Current Ubuntu LTS is 10.04 (next version should be 12.04)

Jon L.

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010, adam davis wrote:

> Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 20:09:12 -0700 (PDT)
> From: adam davis <radamdavis at yahoo.com>
> To: Omaha Linux User Group <olug at olug.org>
> Subject: [olug] linux
>
> Helloooooooooooooo oluggers
> I am wondering what version of Linux would the easiest to use in a server environment?
> For a little FYI. I am trying to decide what would be a better for me. I would like to have a home server that i could mainly use for storing and synchronize files on. I have a chose between windows server 2008 and a Linux distro.
>
> </Adam>
>

> In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of
>
> people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Jon H. Larsen  - relayer -at- levania -dot- org
Blog - http://levania.org/relayer/
VP of Community Development, Omaha Linux Users Group - http://www.olug.org/
AnimeSunday.org - http://www.animesunday.org/