[olug] linux

Michael Peterson mpeterson at charles.omhcoxmail.com
Thu Aug 5 18:19:11 UTC 2010

  CentOS is almost the same as RHEL.
I run both and have better luck with CentOS most times on identical
newer hardware.

I took the test to see what results I would get.
I have used or tried almost any and every distro I can get my hands on.

The site says if I want a graphical install I should lean toward
OpenSuSE 100% which I have used for testing hardware.
It says 100% Fedora which I use as a professor but find it to be too
bleeding edge at times.
It says 100% Mandriva which I used to use on non critical servers but
found it to be very unstable.

I like the looks of SuSE but until Novell took over it would not run on
newer HP hardware for me even from a Live CD.
I like the fact that it used to be German owned distro also.

I took the site test again with text install and then got 100% Fedora
which since it is bleeding edge appears like a flawed result.
It did come back with 100% OpenSuSE again.
I did say 95% Mandriva.
But then it mentioned 95% PCLinuxOS which I do run on retail desktop
kiosks and find very reliable.

Michael Peterson