[olug] [OT] VoIP hardware solution recommendations?

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 15:06:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 2, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Kenny Kant
<kenny.kant at running-config.com> wrote:
>  Dan, If you are looking for a good ATA I would suggest the Sipura (now
> Linksys) series ATA devices they are < 100.00 .  Most of the time the ITSP
> that you choose will provide you one of these and you are good to go.  I
> personally use a Sipura SPA-2000 and a Linksys PAP2 which basically the same
> re-branded device.  Each of these come with 2 FXS ports where you can
> terminate your regular phones in the house.  Each can be setup as its own
> SIP registration.  Some providers like to lock their ATA's just like a cell
> (Vonage is a good example)  phone so ask you provider if they will provide
> you with an unlocked ATA so you can change your ITSP at will.
>
> You can also look at some phones which are true VoIP endpoints.  Polycom and
> Cisco are great brands.  I would also suggest looking at the
> /GIGASET/-A580IP
> <http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=gigaset&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=6715026609938340151&ei=AV5XTLSkCpSlngeXkLTXAw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQ8wIwAg>
> phone.  This device will allow you to register up to 9 ITSP's and also
> provides a FXO port to plug into your traditional PSTN service from
> Qwest/Cox ..etc  great phone.
>

> As for providers I have used to provider service:
>
> Quantum Voice (currently using) - http://www.quantumvoice.com
>
> AxVoice                                           - http://www.axvoice.com
>
> Teliax                                                 -
> http://www.teliax.com
>

> Also I hear that Windstream sells SIP trunking now they purchased Nuvox.  I
> contacted them for pricing but have not received any call back.  Anyone have
> a contact at Winstream??
>

> Kenny
>

> On 7/28/2010 4:22 PM, Dan Linder wrote:
>>
>> A friend would like to use a Skype (or other VoIP service) as a secondary
>> phone in their house.  I know about Vonage and MagicJack, but both of
>> those
>> require a PC to be up 24x7 -- he'd like something a bit smaller like a
>> Internet router that has a RJ11 phone jack.
>>
>> Any suggestions on an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) that won't break the
>> bank (i.e. sub $100).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dan

What OS does Sipura run?

Most of us probably do not run industrial Supervisory Control and
Data Acquisition systems so ignored (myself included) most of the
warnings about the StuxNet worm and SCADA vulnerabilties.    i do not
run an automated shop floor and have only wished our HeatPumps were
networked, so i have nothing to worry about.  WRONG!  Turns out, i
have several systems that run vxworks that i know of.  Make that at
least 10 - some of my car's embedded systems run vxworks which right
now my mechanic has been working on with a win95 laptop.  Makes me
want plug that mp3 player right into the same system.

Since Cisco switched from Linux to VXWorks a few years back for their
routers and probably many other devices, i would be testing those
systems for the SCADA debug port backdoor on your Sipura and anything
else with VXWorks in it that is accessible from the internet.  Even if
not accessible from the net, the vulnerability may still be exploited
with some form of malicious javascript.  Probably want to update that
firmware.

Cisco-Linksys switched to vxWorks for its OS on their wireless routers
a few years back.
Cisco's reasoning was that the vx-works router would use less RAM  -
i doubt that saving 4MB of RAM would save more money than the cost of
the VXWorks license.
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-blogs/davek-security-blog/4205117/-VxWorks-device-like-to-own-me-

HD Moore of MetaSploit says that VOIP devices (Linksys Sipura ?)  and
AirPort extreme have this backdoor:
http://www.darkreading.com/vulnerability_management/security/app-security/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=226100011&cid=RSSfeed