[olug] Tiny computers

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 04:03:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM, Luke-Jr <luke at dashjr.org> wrote:
> But then it's no longer Linux, but a proprietary fork thereof and not much
> better than NTKRNL.

On the Linux kernel and trademark, the ultimate authority is Linus. He
said specifically that the Nvidia driver can not be considered a
derived work (which would be different from a fork to begin with)
because it was a Windows driver first, and then ported over to Linux.

You can keep insisting it some proprietary fork, but Linus says
otherwise. That makes you definitively wrong.

Linus also specifically allows tons and tons of proprietary firmware
blobs to be included in the mainline kernel. So is the mainline kernel
itself also not Linux?

I suggest you write Linus and correct him. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

> Video cards run the same regardless of architecture on (real) Linux.

So a GPU paired with an ARM, MIPS, PPC, x86, or x86_64 architecture
will all behave the same?

-- T. J. Brumfield
"I'm questioning my education
Rewind and what does it show?