[olug] WM recommendation for switchers

Jeff Hinrichs - DM&T dundeemt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 01:02:31 UTC 2009

and to back that up,
http://www.apa.org/monitor/jun04/toomany.html

"Choosy choosers

Luckily, research also suggests some coping strategies for the
mega-choice milieu we find ourselves in. In a 2003 JPSP paper (Vol.
85, No. 1), Chernev reports on four studies where he finds that the
bigger the assortment, the harder it is for people to choose, except
under one condition: when they enter with an articulated preference.

In that case, they often choose what Nobel Laureate Herb Simon, PhD,
first referred to as a "satisficing" option: the first decent choice
that fits their preference as opposed to exhaustively scanning all
options until finding the perfect, or "maximizing" one.

Indeed, satisficing seems like a good overall strategy for choosing,
Schwartz believes. In a 2002 paper in JPSP (Vol. 83, No. 5), he and
his colleagues found that people who strive for maximization are more
prone to depression and perfectionism, more likely to compare
themselves negatively with others and more prone to regret than those
who use satisficing strategies. "

best,
Jeff