[olug] WM recommendation for switchers

Daniel J Griffiths ghost1227 at archlinux.us
Tue Sep 29 17:51:40 UTC 2009

Chad Homan wrote:
> LXDE is the Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment.  It's suppose to be gnome
> friendly in that
> all/most apps can run without downloading the gnome underbelly.  But much
> lighter than XFCE.Chad, CISSP
>
> Do a google for lubuntu to find out more as lubuntu joins the WM set this
> october
>
> Stephen Leacock<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/stephen_leacock.html>
> - "I detest life-insurance agents: they always argue that I shall some
> day
> die, which is not so."
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Tim & Alethea Larson
> <thelarsons3 at cox.net>wrote:
>

>> Chad Homan wrote:
>>
>>> And in a month,
>>> we'll see another candidate LXDE.
>>>
>> Don't know much about LXDE, but I'd like to.  Anyone?
>>
>> Tim
>> --
>> Tim & Alethea
>> christtrek.org

Their website is at http://lxde.org/

LXDE is built on Openbox, although from what I've read it will work
alongside other window managers as well. Its default interface is
relatively clean, not quite as extensible as GNOME or KDE, but certainly
functional. Natively it uses PCManFM as its filemanager, LXAppearance
for theme settings (Openbox users may know this one), XArchiver for GUI
compression, GPicView for... well, pic viewing, and has it's own network
manager called LXNM that's currently in development. The biggest current
downside to LXDE is that there's no way to edit the menu (for those of
you who use one). If a program is installed and has a .desktop file,
it'll show up in the menu. You can't even reorganize it. Still, all in
all it's a good project that's worth taking a look at if you need a
pretty GUI with minimal overhead. I still recommend Openbox (although
not to new users I suppose). And for anyone who says Openbox can't look
good, take a look at my workshop (workshop.ghost1227.com). You might be
surprised :P