[olug] Which certifications are worthwhile?

Eric Lusk wyrmzr72 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 22 03:31:21 UTC 2009

Sounding so far like Cisco is where I'm headed; although my focus tends to be home/small office systems, I'm beginning to run into offices that have a single Cisco device, and no one knows what it's even there for (this particularly happens when they want to shop around for another consultant.  I've had one consulting firm tell me "nobody uses Linux", to which I had to rattle off a few companies they obviously don't do work for).
Linux certs may come in handy in the long run; right now I use it for a lot of data recovery/troubleshooting, and hand out an occasional livecd to try to get a home user by on the cheap.
Grandpa and Grandma don't need to spend $400 on Windows 7 when all they do is play solitaire and check email.... and then they spend a fortune when the grandkids hit a scareware banner ad.

 I ran the Harry Potter books through a spell checker; none of those spells should work.