[olug] MythTV - Cox Digital (HD)

Kenny Kant kenny.kant at running-config.com
Wed Sep 16 03:21:59 UTC 2009

Brian I ran my Mythbackend using Cox's extended basic service and still
got unencrypted QAM channels.  There are not that many but some of the
major stations are there.  This was without a Cox receiver of any kind.
Just cox cable line plugged directly into my encoder.  As for encoder
card I can recommend the HDHomerun as a great device encoding.
http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun it has two tuners built in
for QAM or ATSC .  I can actually pull more HD content using an ATSC
from an Antennna than I can from Cox.

I did contact Cox support about what I could get from them to hook up to
my Mythbox and they do have dvr/tuner device that allows full access via
the firewire port.  I have not tested this as of yet.  I posted the
detail of this conversation to OLUG list months back.  I would be
curious to know your experience with this if you try it out.

Kenny