[olug] OT: Domain Registrations

Aric Aasgaard aric at omahax.com
Tue Sep 1 06:57:07 UTC 2009

I use Hostgator....  what do you mean you can't create a sub domains without
opening a ticket?
Click on the sub domains button in cPanel....

I have 21 sub domains and shell access... They installed cURL for me in a
chat within 2 minutes.  I didn't even need to open a ticket.

If you are a PHP geek it would be hard to find a better shared host that
Hostgator
They let you manage your own PEAR packages and edit your php.ini

They event let you do things they say they don't offer.....one example is
webdav...

I am always down for a better choice......  but in the 3+ years I have used
Hostgator I really like them....

1.  Rule don't buy your domain name from your hosting provider.

I use Godaddy for my domains....  yeah, I am sort of on the fence about
them....  They have always been awesome to me....  however I had a client
ask me to register a domain for them ..... I did, they never paid me....  so
when it expired I didn't renew it.  I gave them fair warning.... They wanted
it back.  Godaddy tried to sell it back to them for $120.....  shady yes,
fair kinda.