[olug] ubuntu slowing down

Rob Townley rob.townley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 01:57:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 8:16 PM, G. Joseph Rosas <joe.rosas at gmail.com> wrote:
> Has anyone tried Lubuntu yet?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lubuntu

i would create a new user, reboot, and login with that user.  If it
persists, fire up ethereal.  Do you have a proxy?

In the IRC ##networking channel, there is a "slow browsing" discussion
right now.  You may want to post a packet capture ##networking and see
what they say.  In there case, a proxy or router may have been
resetting the tcp windows scaling such that http requests  were being
sent in chunks of 24 bytes -- that would be slow, way slow.    The
article mentioned is  from 2004 but shows how to set your tcp window
size.

heftig>	i'm trying to debug a case of "slow browsing" and it seems the
http answer is transferred in many chunks of 24 bytes. what could
cause this?
	<Tramp>	heftig: MTU? Window Scaling?
	<heftig>	Tramp: pmtu 1200, window 6272
	<Tramp>	yeah, well. Window Scaling problems (as far as I remember)
arise from the opposite side misinterpreting the "scaling factor"
(2^^n) as actual window size (n). So to check if that's the problem
one would have to disable window-scaling on one's own side
	<heftig>	hmm
	<Tramp>	or maybe pastebin the tcpdump of a "slow request" (first
dozen packets or so)
	<heftig>	Tramp: one stream: http://omploader.org/vMm1xdg
	<heftig>	seems deactivating the scaling removed the problem >_>
	<heftig>	could a transparent proxy with a buggy tcp implementation be
the cause?
	<Tramp>	heftig: thought so. After the initial handshake your host
10.110.83.247 reduced the window to 54
	<Tramp>	what OS is that box running?
	<heftig>	linux
	<Tramp>	Kernel Version?
	<heftig>	2.6.31
	<Tramp>	hmm.
	<Tramp>	well. I had the feeling that Window-Scaling was the reason,
but I'm not into it enough to debug it deeper without digging in to
documentation myself.
	<heftig>	Tramp: thanks, I learned something :)
	<Tramp>	I'm not even sure if the "win 54" actually means, what
tcpdump shows or if I am misinterpreting it (in the same way the other
host may)
	<rjt>	heftig, is this Ubuntu
	<Tramp>	(i.e. it could be something like (some significant bits of
54)^^7+(some less significant bits) - that's what I'd have to dig
into)
	<rjt>	heftig, Ubuntu 8.10 ? Just happen in the last month?
	<heftig>	Tramp: wireshark says 54 means 6912
	<Tramp>	ah. See. So I'm misinterpreting it the same way the remote host does.
	<Tramp>	so the remote host has the same broken implementation I have :)
	<heftig>	:)
	<Tramp>	(or rather my tcpdump)
	<heftig>	well, tcpdump just shows the value and doesn't seem to take
scaling into account
	<Tramp>	apparently it's 2^^7*54
	<Tramp>	(2^^7)*54 - with the "7" being the scaling-factor announced
in the initial syn
	<heftig>	ah, i see
	<heftig>	http://omploader.org/vMm1xdg
	<heftig>	err
	<heftig>	Window scale: 7 (multiply by 128)
	<heftig>	stupid clipboard ><
	<Tramp>	yes - and the other host (announcing "wscale 0") says he
doesn't use scaling. Now I don't know if that means "hey, don't do
Scaling, I'm to dumb to understand it"
	<heftig>	ah, no
	<heftig>	what is says is: i understand scaling. my scale is 1
	<heftig>	(2^0)*X
	<Tramp>	ah. ok then. So apparently the other side's implementation is
broken then.
	<heftig>	yeah, seems it's a transparent proxy
	===	Tramp <n=mt at adsl-188-155-95-72.adslplus.ch> “mt”
	===	Tramp: member of ##networking
	===	Tramp: attached to irc.freenode.net “http://freenode.net/”
	===	Tramp is identified to services
	===	Tramp is signed on as account Tramp
	---	End of WHOIS information for Tramp.
	===	heftig <i=jan at silver.heftig.linuxsecured.net> “Jan Steffens”
	===	heftig: member of ##networking
	===	heftig: attached to irc.freenode.net “http://freenode.net/”
	===	heftig is identified to services
	===	heftig is signed on as account heftig
	---	End of WHOIS information for heftig.
	<Tramp>	looks like. If I contatct this host directly, it announces "wscale 3"
	<heftig>	well, thanks for your help :)
	<Tramp>	yw
	<heftig>	Tramp: just found this article: seems a broken router
rewriting the scale field to 0 could be the cause as well.
http://lwn.net/Articles/92727/
	<Tramp>	what's the OS of the proxying machine?
	<heftig>	wish i knew
	<heftig>	apparently it runs squid
	<Tramp>	nmap -O (unless this could give you trouble)
	<heftig>	it's not me being proxied. anyway, i would need to know the ip
	<heftig>	...which i suppose a simple http service returning the
client ip would do
	<Tramp>	should do. Additionally if not all your connections are
affected, it would rule out the proxy as the culprit, I'd say