[olug] LVM pvmove operation gone bad

Adam Lassek adam at doubleprime.net
Mon Oct 26 22:32:57 UTC 2009

I'm attempting to remove an old 300GB drive from my volume group and replace
it with a shiny, new 1TB drive.

The pvmove operation ran until 99.9% and then aborted. I believe this is
because I ran pvcreate on /dev/sdf directly instead of creating a partition.
My problem is, it moved the physical extents to /dev/sdf but the original
drive, /dev/sdc1 is still in the volume group, and they both have identical
extent counts. It seems that my vg has a duplicate set of extents.

Every guide for removing a disk from a vg involves a pvmove and a vgreduce.
Since the extents are duplicate, I don't want to move them; I need to remove
them from the vg entirely. How should I do this without damaging the
integrity of the existing volume group?