[olug] The Speaker in DOSEmu

Mike Hostetler hostetlerm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 02:34:26 UTC 2009

I don't know if there are any DOSEmu expert out in OLUG-land, but if
so, I need some help.

I have an older PC I just installed Debian squeeze on.  This machine
is really my wife's typing computer and the data entry program is
actually a DOS program *gasp*.  I know that it works fine in FreeDOS.
So I installed DOSEmu and installed FreeDOS into a directory and then
the program and the program is running except . . .

We need to get the internal PC speaker to work.  If I run DOSEmu on
the console (outside of X) the speaker works. I have the speaker
working in GNOME (I can enter "beep" at the command line and it beeps
at me).  But it will not beep in DOSEmu run in X (where, naturally, we
need it to run).

I have to run DOSEmu as root anyway, so the command line I used is :

sudo dosemu -s

I have the /etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf file looking like this:

# speaker: default: "emulated", or "native" (console only) or "" (off)
$_speaker = "emulated"

When I log the output, I see this in the logfile:
CONF: not allowing speaker port access

So, why won't it allow me to use the speaker?
--
Mike Hostetler
http://mike.hostetlerhome.com/