[olug] Portable Hard Drives

Will Langford unfies at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 23:28:36 UTC 2009

I... was in a serious ' wtf ' situation after the first email as well.
 Kelly, I think you need to describe what you're trying to do.  Ya haven't
been overly clear.  I assume:

a) you want to hook up a usb external hard drive to a windows xp system at
college

b) external usb hard drives appear to be 'blocked / disallowed' on these
windows xp systems at the college

c) usb thumb drives appear to work just fine on the machines at the college

d) you have windows xp and ubuntu at home for fiddling with the external
hard drive to try to stealth/cloak/whatever it when connected to a windows
machine.

Is this correct ?

Immediate questions become:

1) do you know if it's actual college policy to not allow external hard
drives on their machines ?

2) if they purposefully disallow external hard drives, is it really worth
punishment if you break the policy ?

3) 8 and 16gb usb thumb drives are cheap -- do you really need more space
than that ?

-Will