[olug] murdoch and gates join forces at last

T. J. Brumfield enderandrew at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:38:21 UTC 2009

I thought Mark Cuban suggested this last week, that Microsoft take the
top 1,000 websites, and give them each 1 million dollars not to list
their site in Google's index.

First off, I assume the DoJ would be all over that, except the
anti-trust guys seem to be very pro-Microsoft and anti-Google lately.
They said they would have signed off on Microsoft swallowing Yahoo
(removing competition and choice from the marketplace) but threated
Google with a breakup if they tried to ink a search partership with
Yahoo, and now they just hit Google with an anti-trust fine for their
book deal. They said Google would have an unfair monopoly on the book
market, and they're not even in that market yet. I love how that
works.

Even then, can a search engine just index anything it wants so long as
it obeys robots.txt, and would it have to remove existing search
indexes for those site? I'm not sure it would. Either way, if you're a
top 1,000 site, do you rely on Google for people to find you? I assume
it is actually the lower tiers of sites that rely on search engines to
point people in their direction.

-- T. J.