[olug] Configuring nvidia card in open SuSE 11.2

Thomas D. Williamson twilliam at inebraska.com
Mon Nov 16 13:24:54 UTC 2009

I installed openSuSE 11.2 on my laptop. Everything went fine. I went
back to get the driver and other files needed for the nvidia card. It
told me those were installed. When I tried to adjust the
configuration, there were no options. When I went back to the openSuSE
site, it gave instructions on what needs to be done to get it working.
I followed the instructions by entering:

nvidia-xconfig

These warnings are given:

Unable to locate/open x configuration file.

Unable to parse X.Org version string.

I remember doing something with sax, but I am not finding that utility
as easily now, and that was a couple of versions ago. It looks like I
need to start the Xserver for the nvidia card, but I am not sure how
to do that with the responses I am getting.

Thanks,

Tom Williamson