[olug] OT: Recommendations of Thin Clients

Douglas Bertelsen douglas.bertelsen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:14:35 UTC 2009

Cheyenne,

    I have a class setup of old MacBook (circa Pismo) thin clients and
can recommend the following:

1.) Stick with i386 or x64 processors
2.) Check graphics compatibility/drivers before you buy a bunch
(particularly acceleration if you need it
3.) I've been looking into http://disklessworkstations.com/ for an
updated set (the owner works with the LTSP project)

   That being said, even an old PIII can serve as a good testbed.  I
also use a Compaq2110 as a bit beefier machine (that doesn't have the
issues of cross-architecture image creation).  If you do try option
#3, let me know how it works out.  I haven't gotten around to asking
them for a loaner to try out yet.

   BTW, just a quick introduction.  I've been using Linux since Fedora
2 was releases.  Tried as early as 98, but hardware was too much of an
issue to deal with at that time.  I now have a dual-tuner Fedora 11
based HTPC, and the aforementioned LTSP setup with 24 PPC clients on
an x64 server.  That system is Ubuntu-based and I just ran into issues
with Karmic and netbooting a too-large kernel with yaboot.  Maybe that
will get fixed this weekend.

Doug Bertelsen