[olug] [slightly-OT] Hardware recommendations.

Obi-Wan obiwan at jedi.com
Wed Nov 4 17:24:44 UTC 2009

We used HP ProLiant DL-series servers for our VMware farm at the hospital.
They worked wonderfully.  Memory was always our limiting resource, so
get as much (or room for as much) as you can afford.  We ran DL585's,
but a smaller or less-robust farm could use 380's or 360's.  Used
systems are plentiful.  They're not cheap new, but they're reliable
and HP support is wonderful.  I think the newer 380's have room for
six or eight SAS drives (2U).