[olug] [slightly-OT] Hardware recommendations.

Dan Linder dan at linder.org
Wed Nov 4 16:04:39 UTC 2009

I'm trying to beef up my companies lab environment in our HPUX and
Linux/x86_64 areas.  I'm trying to put together a reasonable list of
parts to build some decent sized servers to replace our old/dying lab
environment.

In both cases, I'm going to be looking at the eBay/used market for the
equipment.  Nothing bleeding edge, but within the past 3-5 years that
is reasonable and expandable.

(The HPUX front is my weakest link, so if you have any suggestions and
don't want to discuss them on the OLUG list, e-mail me off-line.)

For the x86_64 server, I'm going to presumably run Linux with a VMWare
server solution on top of it so I can create the actual lab machines
as VM guests.  The specs I'd like to see in this guy are:
  RAM: Start at ~8GB, but ability to scale up to 16 or 32GB.
  CPU: At least two sockets, presumably either dual or quad-core Intel
or Opteron CPUs.
  HDD: I'd like the system to have room for 6+ drives, then pop in a
few 500GB or larger drives to start and have room to expand.
  Power: Redundant power supplies would be a plus, but a single PS is
just fine for the lab.
  Other: Remote "lights out" console/kbd/mouse card, or serial BIOS.

Weight/size/noise aren't that big of a concern since the lab has racks
and the systems these will replace already sound like a F4 Phantom
just before takeoff...

Any suggestions on specific brands and make/models to choose (or stay
away from)?  I'm open to nearly any first or second tier server...

(And if the price is really right, I might beef up my home lab at the
same time...)

Thanks,

Dan

--