[olug] [OT] IBM Authorized service center in Lincoln...

Irish irish.masms at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 15:36:02 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:56 AM, Christopher Cashell <topher-olug at zyp.org>wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:05 PM, Irish <irish.masms at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Why settle for 'just fine'?
> > *Darik's Boot And Nuke* | Hard Drive Disk Wipe and Data
> > Clearing<http://www.dban.org/>
>
> One of the options offered by DBAN is identical to using dd to
> overwrite a disk with zeros.  There's been random speculation that
> high end data recovery equipment could recover data from a zeroed out
> hard drive, but I've never seen any evidence of anyone being able to
> actually do so (on a modern drive).  Additionally, the rapid pace of

[snipped]

Yea, you probably will not see that. ;)

Even better than overwriting with zeros, is enacting the drive wipe command
- but this is with certain drives in the last number of years or so, if the
manufacturer enabled that codeset.

--
Timothy G. O'Brien, CISSP, GSEC, NSA-IAM

Irish dot MASMS at gmail dot com
HTTP://www.linkedin.com/in/obrientg

[snipped - FAQ for email trimming: http://kimihia.org.nz/articles/email/]
Discussion Groups: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/discussion-groups.html
Discussion List Etiquette: http://www.acfichapter.com/subscribe.htm
Properly Formatted Email Replies for the Lazy:
http://email.about.com/cs/netiquettetips/qt/et052704.htm
Mailing List Etiquette FAQ:
http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html
RFC 1855: Netiquette Guidelines:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html
Miss Mailers Answers Your Questions on Mailing Lists:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/mail/miss-mailers/

and of course the all knowing Google:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=mailing+list+etiquette