[olug] nmap paranoia

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Mon May 18 16:49:57 UTC 2009

RFC1918 addresses are only unroutable on the 'net by convention - they
are unicast addresses just like any other.

If there is no packet filtering and the routing tables properly specify
the next hop at each intermediate routing device between you and and the
target then the packets will go through.

And yes cable modems have an RFC1918 address on them - 192.168.100.1. I
doubt that the address is for Cox's management as all cable modems have
that address.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us