[olug] Speaking at Infotec April 14-15, 2009

Adam Haeder adamh at aiminstitute.org
Tue Mar 31 18:56:59 UTC 2009

Hello all
I'll be speaking at the yearly Infotec conference April 14-15, 2009 at the
Qwest Center. My topic is "It's a Great Time to be in IT". Based on the
makeup of our group, I thought this would interest some of you.

Here is more info about Infotec:

http://infotec.org/
April 14-15, 2009
Qwest Center Omaha
Session info: http://infotec.org/sessions.aspx
Aaron Grothe and I helped put together the Infrastructure and IT support
track. The Information Assurance track will also be of interest to many of
you, it was put together by Ron Woerner.

Anyway, thought you all might be interested in more detail about the
event.

Obligatory linux-fu:
Had a situation the other day where a partition was filling up. I wanted
to know which directories in that partition where the biggest offenders.
This little one-liner gave me a list of all (top-level) directories in
that partition, sorted by size, highest to lowest:

# ls -1 | egrep -v "\.|\.\." | while read line; do if [ -d "${line}" ]; then result=`du "$line" -c | grep -i total| awk -F" " '{print $1}'`; echo "$result: $line"; fi; done | sort -rn

Like most of my scripts, I'm sure there is a much more efficient way to do
it, but this worked for me.

--
Adam Haeder
Vice President of Information Technology
adamh at aiminstitute.org
www.aiminstitute.org