[olug] Community Colo Project

Dan Clough dclough at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 05:03:41 UTC 2009

That's exactly what I had in mind Charles.  There should be an initial fee (setup fee for lack of a better term) and we should charge a monthly fee based on a member's space usage.  All members should pay equally for the bandwidth, a rate that would be included in the space usage fee.

I think a non-profit would be the obvious route to establishing an actual entity.  IIRC we'd still be able to charge for services, but there's the added benefit of tax-deductability for any donations.  Also, I can't verify this but it might get us some sympathy from our providers.

Regarding the 10 college kids in a house, here's one poor college kid who's never too poor to have a few servers running. ;)