[olug] Community Colo Project

Phil Brutsche phil at brutsche.us
Thu Mar 26 23:15:37 UTC 2009

James Ringler wrote:
> I have 15 John Deere dealerships from Nebraska to Arizona all
> interconnected with Vyatta 514 appliances..    It's more stable than
> when we had 10 year old PIX's and a few 2600's and have a much larger
> feature set.

The PIXes I can understand, they do a lot of weird Cisco-proprietary
crap that make simple things hard and the devices unreliable. ASAs and
PIXes running v7 or newer are a little better in that regard.

I don't use 'em and favor Cisco 1711s, 851s and 871s. Faster and - for
me - cost the same (under $100, or free with a bad switch port ;)

2600s are pretty solid devices; I bet if you had taken the PIXes out and
replaced them with the above things would have been more reliable.

> The Vyatta is amazing..  I can't stress it enough.   The paid support is
> second to none.  If you've done anything in cisco, the command structure
> is similar, but makes more sense.

Looking at the manual, the command structure is only IOS-like in that it
uses a command line. It has more in common with CatOS or Extreme Networks.

IMO they would have been better off incorporating something like nsh
(http://www.nmedia.net/nsh/) somehow.

--

Phil Brutsche
phil at brutsche.us